Re: How to resolve unresolved cross-references

[The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
 This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.]

From: <sverre.ola.medalen@kongsberg.com>
> I have a FrameMaker 6.0 book of files (on Windows platform) which displays a
> Book Error Report listing 3 unresolved cross-references upon a Book Update.
> To try to resove these problems I did the following:
>
> 2. Opened the file supposed to contain these unresolved cross-references,
> and executed the command Update References/Update Unresolved Cross-Refs.
> This command listed "Total of 0 Unresolved Cross-Refs to Files Named:".

To update/resolve cross-refs during a book update, FM needs to open
the files without problems. If there are any problems with unavailable
fonts or similar, FM cannot update the cross-refs to that file, and the
cross-refs are reported as unresolved. If you after the book update
open the files, and then search for or update unresolved cross-refs,
FM will have been able to update the cross-refs, and none will be found.

The remedy is to first open all the files in the book and take care of
any messages, then keep the files open (or save and close them) before
you perform the book update. You will then fix many of these "phantom"
unresolved cross-refs that later cannot be found.

If that doesn't work, you may indeed be the victim of a FM bug that
reports phantom unresolved cross-refs anyway. In that case, the fix
mentioned by Linda may be the only way:

From: "Linda Gallagher" <lindag83@attbi.com>
> Something I find occurs in Frame 6.0 is what I call phantom unresolved
> cross-references. This happens with updating the book reports unresolved
> cross-references, but when you search there are none. The only fix I know
> for these is to save the file as .mif, then back again as .fm. The phantoms
> disappear when you update the book.

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Writer, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://go.to/framers/