Re: F7 Install error (Mac OS 9.2.2)?

> Has anybody encountered this before? I couldn't find a document on
> the Adobe knowledge base.
>
> THE SHORT VERSION
>
> The Frame 7 installer thinks there isn't enough free space on a
> nearly empty hard drive (Mac G4, OS 9.2.2), and can't seem to be
> convinced otherwise.
>
>  [...]

There have been several reports on installer programs in the last two
or three years where a large harddisk with lots of free space was seen
as full. The common explanation seems to be that some installer
applications internally use signed numbers for the free disk space; if
the number of bytes available on disk is 'too high', it's interpreted
as a negative number, so the test "available space > required space"
fails.

Work-around:

1 Create a disk image with the application Disk Copy (comes with every
  Mac); the image needs to be big enough to hold the full program
  you're going to install but not too big otherwise it falls into the
  trap described above; and it needs to be r/w (read and write, i.e.
  not a read-only disk image).
2 For FrameMaker, the appropriate size might be 300 MB (if this is too
  little, the installer should complain and tell you how much it needs;
  in that case, just delete the disk image and create a bigger one).
3 Mount the disk image, start the installer and select the disk image
  as the disk where you want to install FrameMaker.
4 After the installation has finished, copy the installed copy of
  FrameMaker to a folder on your harddisk.
5 Unmount the disk image and delete the file containing the image.

[Alternatively, if you have several partitions opon your drive, install
it on another partition with less free space. Or if you have a lot of
RAM installed, create a large RAM disk.]

I've never tried this myself but the procedure above was recommended on
various trouble-shooting sites (I still use FM 5.5.6, on a 700 MB disk
partition...)

Markus (reading the digest version)
--
Markus Frischknecht