Re: The Age-Old Illustrator-to-Frame Question (and Gripe)

Having followed this cute thread the last day or so, I'd like to add
some comments.

First of all, FrameMaker never really officially and fully supported
import of Adobe Illustrator .AI files. Officially, FrameMaker only fully
supports import of .EPS and .PDF files saved from Adobe Illustrator.

Secondly, until several years ago, the .AI file format used by Illustrator
was almost identical to the .EPS format. In those cases, if one attempted
to import on of those .AI files, it often "worked" because internally,
despite not having a .EPS suffix, it looked like an EPS file. The current
(i.e., Illustrator 9 or 10) .AI format likewise can be imported into
FrameMaker if and only if the .AI file was saved with the option to make
the file PDF-compatible. (Contrary to an unfortunate public perception,
Illustrator's native file format is NOT PDF. Illustrator stores its
formatting information in a private data area within what looks like a
PDF file which can optionally have all of Illustrator's private data
repeated as genuine PDF data for display and print in Acrobat.) In this
case, FrameMaker is successful in importing an Illustrator file because
it has PDF information as well.

The safest and most highly recommended method of Illustrator content
import into FrameMaker continues to be EPS.

With regards to the "preview" of EPS ... that is a known limitation of
virtually every publishing program around except InDesign. In order
to fully and properly display the contents of an EPS file, the importing
program must have a full PostScript 3 interpreter available within the
program to parse and interpret what is in effect any general PostScript
that could be in the imported EPS file.

EPS previews in most programs are considered to be FPO (for positioning only).

        - Dov