Re: OTF fonts?

Kelly,

Except for UNIX which I will assume is NOT the operating system
you are running under, the issue is NOT whether FrameMaker supports
OpenType fonts, but rather whether the operating system and font
software (if any) support OpenType fonts.

Under Windows 2000 and XP (all flavours), yes, all you need to do
for support of an OpenType font is to install it into the Windows
font folder/directory. If you are optionally using ATM Lite 4.1 or
ATM Deluxe 4.1 in this environment, you can install the font via
either one of them.

Under Windows'9x, Me, or NT 4 (none of which I would continue to
recommend for use of FrameMaker any more), you must have either
ATM Lite 4.1 or ATM Deluxe 4.1 installed in order to install and
use any OpenType font.

Under MacOS 9 and earlier, you must have ATM Lite 4.6.x or ATM
Deluxe 4.6.x installed to access OpenType fonts placed in your
MacOS 9 or earlier font folder.

MacOS X does directly support OpenType fonts in native mode, but
then again FrameMaker doesn't currently run in MacOS X native mode.

In any and all the above environments, you would easily be able to
use OpenType fonts with FrameMaker 5.5.6, 6.0, or 7.0 with the
following caveats:

(1) FrameMaker has only limited access to the full character sets
of OpenType fonts. It cannot access any small caps, lower case
numerals, swash characters, etc. that were previously available
in special expert set Type 1 fonts for which these special characters
were actually mapped to the corresponding ASCII characters they served
as alternates for.

(2) Likewise, when the OpenType versions of Adobe's Type 1 symbol and
dingbat fonts are released, the characters will not map to ASCII, but
rather, to Unicode values which are not currently supported by or
accessible to FrameMaker.

Under UNIX, FrameMaker 7 is the only version of FrameMaker that
supports OpenType fonts via its built-in type renderer.

        - Dov