Re: landscape tables, redux

Irene:
As I tried to explain in my earlier post on this thread, you cannot put the
table title in a text box. You must put the table title in the rotated body
text frame. Proceed as follows:

1. Choose View > Master Pages.

2. I assume your document has ordinary portrait-oriented, double-sided
master pages (Left and Right) If that's the case, you must create
landscaped versions of the Left and Right master pages. To do this, proceed
as follows:
     a. Choose Special > Add Master Page. In the Add Master Page
         dialog, give the new master page a name (I suggest Landscape
         Right), turn on Copy from Master Page, select Right, and click Add.
      b. Repeat step a, only this time enter the name LandscapeLeft,
          turn on Copy from Master Page, select Left, and click Add.

3. You now have two new master pages, LandscapeRight and LandscapeLeft. In
each of them, do the following:
      a. Put whatever is needed in the header and footer text frames.
      b. Delete the body text frame.
      c. Choose Format > Customize Layout > Rotate Page Clockwise.
      d. Using the drawing tool, select text frame, and draw in the body
text frame.
          When you complete it, the Add New Text Frame dialog opens. Turn on
          Template for Body Page Text Frame, and click Add.
      e. After creating the body text frame, you can adjust it's width,
height, and
          offsets by putting the cursor inside the text frame, doing
CTRL-Click to
          select it, and choosing Graphics > Object Properties to open the
          Customize Text Frame dialog.

4. Choose View > Body Pages. Then, go to the page preceding the page where
you are going to put one of your landscaped tables and choose Special > Add
Master page. In the Add Disconnected Page dialog, choose After Page, and in
the Use Master Page menu, choose LandscapeLeft or LandscapeRight, depending
on whether the new page will be even or odd, then click Add.

5. You now have a new, empty landscaped page in which the header appears at
the right and the footer appears at the left, and the body text frame is
rotated. The body text frame has an empty paragraph. Hit return to create a
second empty paragraph. Then, proceed as follows:
      a. Apply the paragraph tag you use for table titles to the first empty
          paragraph, and type in the name of the table. If your tables are
          autonumbered, a table number will appear. Your paragraph
          format for table titles should specify Keep With Next in the
Paragraph
          Designer's Pagination Properties.
NOTE: BECAUSE THE LANDSCAPED PAGES ARE ADDED AS DISCONNECTED PAGES, THE
TABLE NUMBER WILL INITIALLY BE INCORRECT. THIS WILL BE CORRECTED IN STEP 8.
      b. The second paragraph will remain empty, and will serve as the
          anchoring point for the anchored frame. Ideally, you should
          have a special paragraph tag for this purpose whose Space
          Above and Space Below settings establish the amount of white
          space you want separating the top of the anchored frame from
          the table title, and separating the bottom of the anchored frame
          from the text (if any) that appears below the anchored frame.
6. Put the cursor in the second (empty anchoring) paragraph, and choose
Special > Anchored Frame. In the Anchored Frame dialog, choose At Insertion
Point as the Anchoring Position, enter 0.0 pt in the Distance Above
Baseline slot, specify the height and width of the anchored frame, and
click New Frame. Observe that the anchoring paragraph now appears at the
bottom right side of the anchored frame.

NOTE: THE LANDSCAPED PAGES ARE INITIALLY CREATED IN DISCONNECTED PAGES SO
AS TO PREVENT TEXT ON PRECEDING AND FOLLOWING PAGES TO FLOW INTO THE
LANDSCAPED PAGES. HOWEVER, IN STEP 8, YOU WILL RECONNECT ALL OF THE
LANDSCAPED PAGES. TO PREVENT TEXT FROM PRECEDING OR FOLLOWING PAGES FROM
FLOWING INTO THE LANDSCAPED PAGES, THE HEIGHT OF THE ANCHORED FRAMES SHOULD
FILL THE ENTIRE BODY TEXT FRAME BELOW THE TABLE TITLE. THIS WILL PREVENT
ANY IN-FLOW OF TEXT FROM PRECEDING OR FOLLOWING PAGES.

7. Select the new anchored frame created in step 6, and paste in the
graphic object containing the table. If you find it necessary to adjust the
height of the anchored frame, select the altered anchored frame, choose
Special > Anchored Frame, and reset the Distance Above Baseline to 0.0 pt.

8. After you've added all the tables to the document, each of the
landscaped pages will exist as disconnected pages. You must now connect the
landscaped pages to the pages preceding and following each landscaped page.
Accomplish this by using Format > Customize Layout > Connect Text Frames.
Once this is done, the correct numbers will appear in all autonumbered items.

NOTE: IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE NOTE BELOW STEP 6, TEXT CANNOT
FLOW INTO THE LANDSCAPED PAGES. THUS, IF YOU ADD OR DELETE TEXT IN PAGES
PRECEDING A LANDSCAPED PAGE, AND THIS ACTION CAUSES A NEW PAGE TO BE ADDED
OR AN EXISTING PAGE TO BE DROPPED, THE MASTER PAGE TYPE APPLIED TO THE
LANDSCAPED PAGES MAY HAVE TO BE CHANGED, BECAUSE THE ADDED OR DELETED PAGES
MAY CAUSE A LANDSCAPED PAGE TO BE SHIFTED FROM LEFT TO RIGHT OR VICE-VERSA.
SINCE FRAMEMAKER CANNOT AUTOMATICALLY MAKE THIS CHANGE FOR ANYTHING OTHER
THAN THE DEFAULT LEFT AND RIGHT MASTER PAGES, YOU'LL HAVE TO MANUALLY
CHANGE THEM. TO DO THIS, DISPLAY THE LANDSCAPED PAGE WHOSE NUMBERING HAS
CHANGED FROM EVEN-TO-ODD OR VICE-VERSA, AND PUT YOUR CURSOR IN THAT PAGE.
THEN, CHOOSE FORMAT > MASTER PAGE USAGE, AND SWITCH THE APPLIED MASTER PAGE
FROM LandscapeRight TO LandscapeLeft, OR VICE VERSA.

9. When you're ready to print the document, Choose View > Master Pages. Go
to the LandscapeRight and LandscapeRight master pages you created in step
2. On each of these two master pages, choose Format > Customize  Layout >
Unrotate Page. The landscaped pages now have the orientation they will have
in the printed document.

> > Then I tried creating a landscape table, but the title box stays
> >at the top of the table in portrait orientation, even if I rotate the table.
>
>What I'm trying to import are graphic objects, which are already oriented
>as landscapes.
>No matter what I've tried - creating landscape master
>pages, creating landscape-oriented pages, and bizarre combinations of the
>two - the table title stays parallel to the headers and footers, rather
>than running along the top of the landscape table.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663