Re: Importing graphics - need tips

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
*** If this message is useful, consider sending it to FrameUsers.

From: "julia leach" <jleach@wencomine.com>
> I just started using Jasc Paint Shop Pro and saving and
> importing my images as .gif. When I import the image, if it
> shows up larger/smaller than I want can I resize it then?

Of course, but you should avoid trying to resize it manually by using
the handles. The appearance of a graphic on-screen and in print depends
primarily on the DPI value associated with the image (select Graphics >
Object Properties > Set DPI). If your prime concern is printed output,
you must select a DPI divisible by your printer's resolution. That is,
for a 600 dpi printer, you would choose 75, 100, 120, 150 or 300 dpi.
For on-screen appearance in FM, the dpi to use depends on computer
platform, monitor size setting and scale setting in FM. For on-screen
appearance in FM, the end result depends primarily on the scale setting
used in Acrobat Reader and whether the smoothing setting is turned on.

> Also, is .gif the best format? We distribute our docs primarily by PDF.

Best format for what? Screendumps or photographs or drawings? Black & white,
256 colors or more? GIF is an image format intended for articifical
(non-photographic) bitmap graphics of max 256 colors.

From: "Sharron Fox" <sharron.fox@inet.com>
> It's been my experience that GIFs don't display well in PDF files.

The original image format used in the FM file has nothing to do with the
result in PDF. The distilling process knows *nothing* about the original
format. If your GIF images appear bad, they are either created badly in
the first place, or you use graphics not suited for the GIF format.
Since GIF only supports 256 colors, that could be one reason.

The whole issue of image formats and image scaling depend on many factors,
including subjective appearance. You should experiment on your own,
since your situation and preferences may be unique, and other people's
advice may not apply.