FM 6.0 loses its character

... formats and, possibly, its reputation formats, too.

Has anybody come across this?  At MYOB Australia religiously apply named
character formats from the character catalogue.  While a colleague and I
were generating a PostScript file to be distilled into PDF, we discovered
that most documents had "forgotten" the named character formats that had
been applied to text ranges.  (This is not to imply that generating PDF is
the cause -- it's just that we found the problem during that process.)

When, for example, you click on some bold italic text, no character format
name appears in the status bar and the name of the paragraph format does
NOT have an asterisk indicating that an over-ride has been applied.  It's
just as though formats have been applied with Ctrl-b and Ctrl-i!  The
particular writer concerned is meticulous in using character formats so it
is not writer error.

This has implications for us when single-sourcing to HTML Help with mif2go.
Our conversion files reference named character formats in order to create
appropriate HTML elements with CSS style names in the output.  Anonymous
formats are either going to be missed or will have to be processed by some
vanilla flavoured <font> tag.  Nasty.

Has anybody else had the experience of character amnesia?

[Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 1.27C01, Enhance 2.03,
Acrobat 4.05.2, mif2go 31r25, IXgen 5.5.h]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
MYOB Australia <http://www.myob.com.au/>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
<mailto:hedley_finger@myob.com.au>
Tel. +61 3 9894 0945
Mob. +61 412 461 558