Re: FrameMaker special spaces appear as squares in Acrobat bookmarks

The bug is in FrameMaker which should be filtering out it's own
control characters from the output stream for PDFMark. Acrobat 5
allows arbitrary characters in the bookmarks, including Unicode (although
that is NOT supported from FrameMaker). Unfortunately, when FrameMaker
generates the PDFMark code for the output PostScript stream, it simply
dumps all of its characters, including what normally would be considered
non-printing control characters. And those control characters are considered
undefined characters and the system fonts used by Acrobat to display same
display exactly what they are supposed to, the "notdef" character which is
defined as a box. I believe that Shlomo Perets (MicroType) has a workaround
with his Timesavers package that eliminates those nasty boxes.

        - Dov