Re: EDD Maintenance Techniques (Re: Frame+SGML: Prefix Rules and Attributes)

Sounds like sage advice. I've actually gone to the step of creating an EDD which
allows Element as it's highest element. The complete EDD is then a collection of
text insets. This works well because you can keep multiple versions of each
element an easily switch them about.

In my EDD folder I have the complete EDD and several sub-folders. In one sub
folder, I keep all the currently referenced Elements. In another I keep a copy
of all the functional Elements. In the others, I keep the various non- and
semi-functional fragments. I can then test works in progress by copying from the
work in progress folder into the "current" folder. I can then return to the
previous version by copying from the "Functional" folder into the "Current". If
the work in progress works as expected, I can move it into the "Current" and
"Functional" folders.

This also allows me to use conditional text freely. In the fragments I have all
conditions showing. In the complete EDD I have only the valid conditions
showing.

On another note: For your technical manual/training template. Are the different
names (Chapter/Module) for the elements or just the formatting? The elements
should all be the same and just the formatting should change (I'm assuming this
is what you are doing). But instead of fussing with variable AND character
formats, why not use conditional text? That way you can define elements and
structure for both simultaneously, and conditional text automatically gives you
indication of what is applied by character formatting.

Eric L. Dunn