RE: Giant PDF File - Why?

Bob,

I guess we should all have "rachmanot" on your poor soul!

The following are the authoritative directions on how to install
the combinations of ATM Lite 4.1.1 or Deluxe 4.1, PostScript drivers,
Acrobat (5 or 4.05a), and FrameMaker 6 on Windows systems.

This of course assumes that some clueless "HelplessDesk" or "IT/IS"
type hasn't already made a shambles of your system via reckless OS
installation or other professional incompetence. [\rant: To be
very clear about this, I have the utmost respect for true IT/IS
professionals. But many companies are outsourcing these functions to
job shops that hire anyone who can mumble the word computer and is
willing to accept less than $8 per hour and be treated like dirt.
Anyone with even half decent skills gets out of such jobs very quickly.
Those who remain ... draw your own conclusions. \end rant]

If in any real doubt as to what is installed on your system or as
to the stability of the operating system, I would recommend most highly
a clean installation of either Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 2000
Server. Windows'9x and especially Windows Me are not particularly stable
work environments (unless you like rebooting multiple times per day
and losing work unless you preemptively do such reboots). Windows NT 4
is effectively font and PostScript printing brain-dead, but is at least
stable in terms of avoiding crashes. The flavours of Windows 2000 (and
the forthcoming Windows XP) are what Apple is trying to get to in terms
of stability and functionality with MacOS X.

The steps:

STEP ZERO: If running under Windows NT 4 or Windows 2000, logon as
an Administrator. Installation won't work otherwise. On any version
of Windows, disable all virus checkers until after all these steps
are completed.

STEP ONE (if necessary): Clean any older version Acrobat programs from
your system via the uninstaller.

STEP TWO: Install Adobe Type Manager Light (except on Windows 2000),
downloadable from <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/atmwin.htm>
(choose your language). ATM is necessary if and only if you use ANY
Type 1 or OpenType fonts and either you are not running Windows 2000 or
you are running Windows 2000 and are using Type 1 Multiple Master fonts.
I would strongly recommend its use, but make sure you download ATM Light
4.1.1 from Adobe's web site at the above URL. The version on the
FrameMaker 6 CDROM (4.1) has a severe problem. Windows 2000 has the
necessary font rasterization built in, except for Type 1 Multiple Master
fonts as noted above. ATM Deluxe 4.1 provides the services of ATM Light 4.1.1
PLUS font management services for Type 1, TrueType, and OpenType fonts.
You will need to reboot the system after this step and then re-logon
(as Administrator with no virus checking per STEP ZERO).

STEP THREE: If you are installing Acrobat 4.05a, install the Adobe PS
driver via the Universal PostScript Driver Installer 1.0.x, downloadable from
<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/pdrvwin.htm>. This will give you
the lastest version of AdobePS 4.x under Windows'9x or Windows Me, AdobePS 5.x
under Windows NT 4, or an updated PSCRIPT5 driver under Windows 2000. If you
don't have any "real" PostScript printers attached to your system, create a
"dummy" printer driver instance using the Generic PostScript PPD (this is
provided in the installer) and assign it to local port "FILE". You will need
to reboot the system after this step and then re-logon (as Administrator with
no virus checking per STEP ZERO). If you are installing Acrobat 5, you don't
need to run this step ore reboot; the Acrobat installer will properly load the
printer driver for you.

STEP FOUR: Install Acrobat 5 or Acrobat 4.05a from the CD. You will need to
reboot the system after this step and then re-logon for Windows'9x/Me.

STEP FIVE: If you needed to run STEP THREE, you can now delete the "dummy"
printer you created in STEP THREE.

STEP SIX (a): If you installed Acrobat 4.05a, install "Update 2" for Acrobat 4.05,
downloadable from <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/85f6.htm>.

STEP SIX (b): If you installed Acrobat 5, install the optional additional
plugins (such as accessibility and capture) available from the Adobe web site.

STEP SEVEN: Install FrameMaker (or FrameMaker+SGML) 6. Cancel out of the
location screen for installing Acrobat Distiller or you will ruin your
Acrobat installation. Similarly, cancel out of the driver installation screen.
You already have the most recent driver.

STEP EIGHT: Install the FrameMaker 6 update, downloadable from
<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/8582.htm> or the FrameMaker+SGML 6
update downloadable from <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/8576.htm>.

STEP NINE: Unzip the Updated User Guide PDFs (in fmmanual.zip) after
downloading them from <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/8656.htm> to
"X:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker6.0\OnlineManuals" where "X" is the
volume you installed FrameMaker 6 (or similar directory for FrameMaker+SGML).

STEP TEN: When done, pour yourself a stiff drink.

        - Dov