Re: EDD Paragraph Formatting

Thank you all for the replies.
As most pointed out, the 'Show Context' dialog does indeed show which rules are
being applied (My error). But, it does not tell you what all the necessary
details of these rules are. Perhaps it's just because I'm lazy (who isn't ;^) ),
but I was looking for more.
The same dialog, limiting the details only to the rules being applied (and them
being complete), combined with some permutation of the paragraph designer for
the details, would be ideal. The ultimate would be being able to jump from the
dialog to the pertinent EDD section and then back to the file.
It has always been my belief the ultimate FM+SGML tool would be a modified
Near&Far. I would add the following to what is already an excellent SGML/XML DTD
creation tool:
- formatting rules to the graphical structure representation so that the tool
could also produce EDDs.
- ability to test various structures and the resulting formatting in the
graphical representation.
- an analysis tool to verify the impact of any changes to formatting.
- an analysis tool to verify the impact of any structural changes on existing
documents.
- track changes.

[Greedy ain't I? :^)]

On  a more realistic note, which development ideology do you prefer when
creating an EDD?

What do you base on inheritance and what do you format locally for each element?
We currently have a spaghetti mix (hence my search for an analysis tool).

Do you use the paragraph catalog format tags? In our current EDD only table
format tags are used.

For elements that appear in many contexts, do you define all the context rules
for that element or for the parent/ancestors of that element? In our current
EDD, while it is a mix, it leans heavily towards all contexts in the one
element.

Eric L. Dunn