BookHTML spontaneously changes?

OK, this is probably a deeply stupid question, but I
haven't had much luck with the archives or Adobe just
yet, so I figured I'd ask.

I have a book composed of fifteen files, which converts
reasonably well to HTML using the FM-native "Save As"
export. It split on level two headings, and used the
auto-level feature for all HTML heading tags.

My boss has decided that the resulting HTML should split
on a level three heading (in my template, head3) and
that this should be mapped to the HTML H3 tag. Makes sense.

So, I go into the BookHTML table on the ref pages of the
first file in the book, and put a Y in the relevant column
for the P:head3 entry, and change the HTML tag from H* to H3.
To be safe, I also change all other H* entries into various
levels of H tags (H1, H2, etc.), then save and close the file.
I also save & close the book, just for good measure, and
then reopen it.

...then I Save As HTML. The HTML does not split on the head3
tag like it's supposed to. Puzzled, I open the first file
of the book and check the BookHTML ref pages -- and my "Y"
entry has magically become an N.

To verify this, I do all of the preceding steps over again,
only this time I keep Chapter0 (the first file) open in the
background (this file has no xrefs, so it doesn't mark itself
changed when opened) . . . once the HTML is complete, Chapter0
claims that it has been changed, and when I check the BookHTML
table, lo and behold my Y is now an N again.

What the heck is going on? I'm definitely editing the BookHTML
table, not the other one, and I definitely *am* saving the files
beforehand. If I reopen the edited file, I can see that I've set
the HTML to split on head3 -- until I actually generate the HTML.
Once that happens, the BookHTML table is automatically changed
for me, and my settings are happily ignored.

Ideas? I'm used to WebWorks, so this is a new one on me. For
various reasons, neither WebWorks nor Mif2Go are viable options.
I suspect that perhaps the individual HTML maps for each chapter
are somehow overriding BookHTML, but I haven't proved that yet.

FM5.5.6, Solaris 8, 256Mb, 8Gb.

Martin Anderson