Re: Framemaker history ?

Hi.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Briggs" <web@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: "Dan Emory" <danemory@primenet.com>; "Studio Smalbro"
<studio@smalbro.dk>; <framers@omsys.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001 4:27 AM
Subject: Re: Framemaker history ?

> At 12:38 PM -0700 26/05/01, Dan Emory wrote:
> >Release 4 is when
> >Windows and Mac platforms were added, as well as more flavors of Unix.
>
> I used version 3 on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. And I have a copy of
> version 2.1, 2.1.1, and version 3 for the Mac.
 >But that was OK, because FrameMaker's only real competition was Interleaf.
Hmm., in the end of 80-th/beginning of 90-th the main competitors of FM were
Ventura Publisher Professional Extension 2.0/3.0 Gold; Advent 3B2; Ileaf
1.x-2.x and a lot of dead currently DTP applications too...
Small extra data about FM history:

Japanese support in Framemaker was starting from J-localized version 2 at
least.

Excellent FrameReader and FrameViewer's line of product was omitted in this
review.

A good point in FM review is the fact of FrameMaker 4/FrameBuilder release
for Solaris/x86 platform.

Another notable event was the premeditated murder with Adobe the release of
FrameMaker 5.x for OS/2 PM which had been prepared by Frame Tech. before its
absorption.

The dead of beta of FrameMaker 5.5.6 for Linux is a remarkable occurrence of
FM history too.

Rgrds,
Dmitri Iounov
L10n Expert.