Re: when to size images

Bob,

I would recommend NEVER resampling the base image, regardless of
the ultimate print or display resolution, at least for the PDF and
PostScript workflows we have been describing. Why? Because Photoshop
(or any similar program) will not do any better a job of resampling
than you will get at display time (Acrobat / Acrobat Reader) or at
print time via Adobe PostScript Level 2 or Adobe PostScript 3 on
a high resolution device, assuming that you have that image interpolation
option "on". So why carry all that extraneous data along with your
images, PostScript, and/or PDF? To make matters worse, if you upsample
up front and then need to let Acrobat / Acrobat Reader or a printer
downsample later, you will indeed likely suffer image quality loss.

The only place where resampling to get final image size/resolution
fit is at all necessary is for generation of web pages with HTML
workflows.

        - Dov