Zapf Dingbats & Windows 2000

Dov (and framers),

Thanks for your reply regarding AdobePS and Windows 2000.
I have a more serious problem with FM and Windows 2000.

In late November, Dov Isaacs posted an explanation of the
problem with Zapf Dingbats displaying incorrectly on a
Windows 2000 system:

> There appears to be a problem under Windows 2000 in which characters
> chosen from the ITC Zapf Dingbats font display in the TrueType
> WingDings font on the screen, but print OK to PostScript printers
> and generate correct PDF files.
> Adobe is investigating the problem and a possible solution. In the
> interim, I recommend the following workaround that so far appears to
> work without any problems.
> Acrobat 4.0x and Acrobat Reader 4.0x include their own copy of the
> ITC Zapf Dingbat font. The .PFM file in Acrobat for ITC Zapf Dingbats
> seems to "fix" the problem for the system. Use the following procedure
> to use that PFM file instead of that currently used by the system:

Unfortunately, the procedure to replace the ZD______.PFM file
with the one from the Acrobat 4.05 installation does not work
for me and a fellow Windows 2000 user. We followed the
instructions verbatim and rebooted.

Does Adobe have a permanent solution or another workaround?
Have any other framers solved this in a different way?