Re: Figure numbers - in the flow or in the frame?

Russ,

It is a common practice to use a one-cell table to hold a graphic
and its related caption. This may be what the writer was
"remembering" from a previous job. It fulfills the requirement of
keeping the caption and figure together and also addresses the
consistency issue.

I have never heard of putting the caption in the anchored frame,
but who knows? Unless you go through the aggravation of creating
a text container inside the anchored frame, you couldn't even
spell check the caption.

My suggestion would be to go with the one-cell table. BTW you may
need to create a paragraph tag to act as an anchor paragraph to
resolve any spacing issues created by the one-cell approach.

G-luck

Greg Henderson
Lucent Technologies

========================== snip
However, having the figure number inside the anchored frame might
cause
consistency problems; the placement of the Figure number might
creep around
a little and be inconsistent, even if I provide a boilerplate
anchored frame
on the reference page that users could copy/paste.

So I'm curious what people think. Is it better to place figure
numbers in
the main flow or in the anchored frame itself? Thanks for your
opinions.

- -Russ