Can 10 become 6 conditionally?

Question about Frame's conditionals

I'm trying to combine two manuals that share many of their chapters. For
example, manual A has 10 chapters, while manual B has only 6 chapters (which
are also chapters 1, 2, 3, 7, 9 & 10 from manual A). I'd like to
"conditional out" entire chapters (docs) from the one Frame book, so user A
sees chapters 1-10 and user B sees chapters 1-6, with the chapter numbers
autonumbering appropriately (so user B won't know about the extra 4
chapters).

However, when I "select all" in a chapter, apply the conditional tag and
then hide the condition, that chapter's page still exists when I create the
PDF (maybe the page still needs to exist to hold the marker). Also, the
automatic chapter number isn't ignoring the now-missing chapter. Chapter 10
is still chapter 10, not 5.

I tried having two separate Frame books (one each for manuals A and B),
where the 5 common chapters were in each--but for a reason that escapes me
now, it proved a logistical mess. So I simplified it to one book. Anyway,
I'd like to avoid my current compromise--which is to include that chapter
page as a place holder (now with all text conditionaled out but for the
chapter title and a paragraph of explanation).

Advise, ideas, comments, laughter? Excuse our collective ignorance. Most in
our documentation group (about 8 souls) are only months into using Frame. Oh
the mysteries! (But it beats MS Word.) TIA

Jon Nowland, sr techwriter
[ Frame 6 / Windows NT4 / Acrobat 4.05 / Enhance(trial) ]
work:  <mailto: jonn@firstlogic.com>