Re: hyperlink markers vs. cross refs

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:09:45 +0100, John Cornellier <tw@cornellier.com> wrote:

>What are the pros & cons of using hyperlink markers vs. cross references?
>The end use is hyperlinks in FrameViewer, and eventually PDF and/or HTML.

We use xrefs whenever we can, since they provide many advantages in any
document that is ever updated.  One of the biggest is that the $paratext
taken from the source will track any changes made in the source, which
hyperlinks just can't do.

The main situation in which xrefs are not really usable is when we don't
want $paratext (or $paranum) from the source to appear at the site of the
reference.  Perhaps we don't want *all* the $paratext, just a word or two.
Or a paraphrase of it.  In that case, to use xrefs, we'd have to use a
unique xref format (with the desired text for the hotspot) for each xref,
and that would quickly become unmanageable.  So then we turn to hyperlinks.

FrameMaker uses hyperlinks in its generated files, we believe, for three
reasons.  First, this permits you to edit the generated text freely, no
matter what you had in the source docs.  (Of course, your edits will go
away in the next generation.)  Second, Frame does not have to check the
links when you open the generated file; this can save time, when you have
a TOC or IX for a large book.  Third, Frame does not have to add anything
to the source files (like an xref marker); the Unique ID is already there.

As far as plugins are concerned, Mif2Go supports xrefs and most of the
variations in hyperlinks (except for exotica like Button Matrix, Close,
Back, and Exit).  For HTML, we handle links to other files (even when
split up, and in different books) correctly for both xrefs and hyperlinks;
we generate client-side image maps for graphics with hyperlinks in text
frame overlays, automatically.

Thanks for raising an interesting issue.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/