Re: Frame to LaTeX conversion

.

> 4) Include the graphics. That can be tricky. LaTeX can
>    handle ps and eps only as far as I know. Consult the
>    web or the manual and use one of the style files like
>    psfrag, for instance. Get an example from somebody,
>    perhaps from a news group, don't try to do it all yourself.
> ------------------
>
> Another possibility for you is the FrameMaker MIF to LaTeX Translator
> at http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/software/framemaker/, tho' using
> this will require facility with Unix.
>
> Charles Hawtrey

Hello,

About six months ago, I got a bee in my bonnet and
decided to find out how to do the Framemaker to
Latex conversion. Maybe the sgml dtd will work.

The drawbacks from the proposed Unix solution:

The following information is lost in the translation:

page layout, including page numbering
the document date
frames, including figure contents and mathematics expressions
markers, including index entries
table formatting
The following information is fixed in the translation:
cross-references
variable values

The following information can be recreated by running LaTeX on the result:

section numbers
table of contents, list of figures, list of tables

So, if you read about this ya notice that it practically requires
Artificial Intelligence to do this translation or a very very
detailed program. I did find a conversion route if the .fm doc
is created in using the .sgml structured format because it reduces
the complexity of the conversion process and so reduces error.
It was one of those ???TeX programs. I think LyX.

SGML2TeX , a generic SGML to LaTeX translator

written by Peter Flynn (Cork, Ireland);
translates SGML tags into TeX instructions;
runs (at present) only on PC, but will be ported to other
platforms; does not verify the SGML source;
it is up to the user the define the correspondence between the
SGML elements, their attributes and the entities, and provide
their equivalent in LaTeX; uses a configuration file (global definitions);
by defaults all SGML tags are translated to dummy LaTeX commands:
tags become \start... and \finish...;
entities &ent; become \ent{};
attributes become LaTeX command arguments.

This webpage provides a free Windows way of making .sgml
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html

"Although there are lots of SGML-editors and integrated
systems for commercial use on the Windows platform available,
to date there is no simple and affordable system for private users
on the market (at least I'm not aware of). Unless you want to
switch to a Linux system like Debian, which offers a selection
of SGML tools (see The Debian SGML/XML Howto for instructions),
you'll have to browse the web for a solution to this problem.
As a result of such a search, I will describe here a free SGML
system for Windows NT, which is just one of several possibilities
to build such a system. With some small changes to the setup
procedure, the system also runs on Windows 95/98."

Regards,
Stephen