Re: Framemaker & RoboHelp

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:43:30 -0500 , Richard de Vecchis
<RDevecchis@lawmanager.com> wrote:

>I know that WebWorks Publisher is the preferred HTML Help tool for
>Framemaker.

Opinions on that differ.  ;-)  As the authors of Mif2Go, we're biased
toward our own product ($295 for a single-seat license with unlimited
email support and all upgrades for a year, **much** less than WWP):

  http://www.omsys.com/

>I also heard it has a fairly steep learning curve.

To say the least.  Members of this list who are WWP trainers have
said that a two-day class is the minimum one should have to be able
to use it.  Mif2Go requires no training at all.  Many customers tell
us they get shippable results within 15 minutes of installation.
But we'd allow an hour or two for a large HTML Help project.  ;-)

>Are there significant
>obstacles to using Framemaker documentation in RoboHelp? I've heard that a
>future version of RoboHelp will accomodate Framemaker mif files directly-
>but for now should I just forget RoboHelp altogether

Yes, that's a very good idea; RoboHelp adds nothing that you would
want (and plenty that you wouldn't) to the files Mif2Go creates.
Run Mif2Go, then in MS HTML Workshop select the .hhp it made, push
the Compile button, and you're done.

>and spend the time learning WebWorks Publisher?

*Not* a good idea... IMHO.  <g>

>What major obstacles do I
>face importing Framemaker Docs (saved as HTML) into RoboHelp?

The list is long.  We've had several customers try it, we can only
presume out of habit.  We then received complaints about the HTML...
which, after a bit of checking, proved to be problems introduced by
RoboHelp itself (actually, RoboHTML in this case).  When Robo was
removed from the process, all was well.

Feel free to send us a sample file, per the instructions on the Web
site.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/