Re: graphics/WebWorks question

On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:24:49 -0800, "Erin McAnallen" <emcanall@iwv.com>
wrote:

>I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, but I've come up empty.
>Hopefully you guys (and gals) can help me.
>
>We have some pretty graphics heavy documentation and are just starting
>our conversion to online docs. We're using WebWorks for the first step
>(just getting it into HTML then some cleanup from there).

If you used Mif2Go instead, you would not have any cleanup to do.  None.

>We have our
>graphics saved as .png and imported by reference into FM at a 300 dpi
>(so they print well and aren't mucky), but when they go through WW,
>they're HUGE in the browser.

Mif2Go preserves the size as it is in FrameMaker in the HTML; you
can specify the scaling factor to be used, if you want enlargement
or reduction.

>They aren't all the same size or aspect
>ratio so we can't just search and add constraints to the img in the
>HTML.

Mif2Go allows you to specify the sizes of each image individually in
the .ini file, where the settings persist until you change them.  No
editing of the HTML is ever required.  You can also define graphics
groups and set sizes (and many other properties) by group.

>If we constrain them in Fireworks before importing into FM
>(besides being a pain in the ***) they import into Frame very very small
>and have to be scaled and end up fuzzy.

No need to make any changes at all in Frame for this, either.

>Any ideas on what to do to have readable clear normal sized graphics in
>hardcopy and HTML?

Have a look at Mif2Go, $295 for a single-seat license with a full year
of unlimited email support and all upgrades.  It pays for itself the
first day you use it:
  http://www.omsys.com/

For details on the HTML features, see the docs on-line at:
  http://www.omsys.com/htmlini/

You can also send us a sample file; see the details on our Web site.

HTH!

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/