Re: Yikes...no FrameMaker?

At 01:26 AM 2/6/01 +0100, Despot wrote:

>Right. By the way, can anyone say what WE are doing exactly ? I'm using FM
>for fine books, journals, newsletters, illustrated albums, catalogs, ads,
>private letters and diary, literary writing, website building, pc-mac
>exchange, logotype design and database publishing. And I have not attended a
>single hour of training as a programmer, DTP designer or techwriter. My only
>skill was to choose the right tool at the start. I can't imagine doing all
>that with, say, QuarkXPress.

Or anything else for that matter. I too do alot of database publishing, using
UniMerge and FrameMaker. By moving to FrameMaker+SGML, you get
all the features of ordinary FrameMaker, PLUS structured document authoring
that is compliant with a DTD, AND the capability to export those documents
to either SGML or XML.  FrameMaker+SGML is truly the Swiss Knife of the
Publishing
business (it still needs some tweaks to make it better), yet it is not a
god-awful
resource hog like Word and other DTPs with only half of Frame's capabilities.

> > If a better one comes along, we'll switch
>
>...of course, and spend months learning other environment, other shortcuts,
>other methods, other conceptions, other troubles. Spend a fortune buying
>other licenses, other plug-ins...

Exactly the point. The investment in time alone to switch to something
else, acquire the necessary add-ons, and then become proficient in
in that new environment is a huge cost factor that none of us
want to contemplate.

>I apologise if this looks somewhat off-topic. I just meant to say that when
>a thing is good and well fitted to its purpose, it is always a pity to see
>it fall off. Even when you can easily switch to something newer and
>virtually better.

Which, if you're currently exploiting all of Frame's capabilities, as I am,
is the reciprocal of "easily switch."

I suspect, however, that the only way to convince Adobe that there's
still enough of us out there to keep the product profitable and viable is to
religiously purchase each new release.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646