RE: [Fwd: I remember when...]

There were Selectrics in 1969 - I used to write press releases on one for
the Public Information Office at North Texas State University on the the two
afternoons each week that I wasn't in my sophomore reporting class in the
Journalism Department. In sophomore reporting we used Royal manuals. Until I
got the routine down, I would beat the Selectric to death the day after
pounding the manual and then could hardly budge the keys on the manual the
day after lightening my touch for the Selectric.

During my years as a journalist, I worked for a couple of newspapers that
used Compugraphic typesetting equipment. Even learned how to use them which
came in really handly for running my own weekly. Setting type on a
Compugraphic is where I learned how to enter text at a high rate of speed -
which amazes people to this day. You learn to see letters and type them and
don't try to read what you're typesetting. If the goal is simply to get the
text entered, you can type really fast this way.

Haven't been a journalist for almost 20 years now, but there are days that I
miss it dearly. And I love to walk into a printing company and smell the
inks and chemicals. OK, I'm strange, but it brings back great memories.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas (yep, that one)