Re: 2 subjects: Frames and Tags

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: <Dennis_Gelpe@magicsoftware.com>
> I'm new to FrameMaker. We are currently using Ventura and have purchased
> FrameMaker 6 for our next series of documents.
>    I've been trying to work my way through the product, seeking operations
>    that are similar to those in Ventura:
>    creating frames (for screen captures) with captions
>        AND
>    importing tags without replacing the tags currently in the document.
>
> Ventura makes the creation of a frame cum caption box easy, along with
> adjusting the size of the frame. I can't find anything that explains, in
> easy terms, how to do the same with FrameMaker, especially in its own book.
> Also, in Ventura, the user could import tags globally or separately. I have
> only seen the global import feature of FrameMaker. I was unable to find a
> way to import separate tags.

You're correct, the concept of a figure frame with associated caption isn't
available as a separate object or menu alternative in FM. I would say that
the easiest way is to create a new Table format, e.g. "Figure", and define
it as a single-cell table with no rulings (borders) and use the Table title
as the figure caption. If you define an autonumbered figure title paragraph,
you can use this as the default for the Table title. Once you have this
set up, you can insert a new "Figure" table and get the figure caption
automatically and the cursor placed in the single cell. You then simply
import the graphic and it will be placed in an anchored frame in the cell.

Regarding importing tags, I'm not clear on what you want. You can import
tags globally into a whole book, or into separate files. When you import
tags, only the ones with identical names will be updated; all others are
left alone. If you want to import only a specific set of tags and no others,
you'll have to create a dummy document where you have deleted all other tags,
and then import tags from this dummy document.

Hope this helps,