Re: Trouble with WWP and JavaHelp

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:30:22 -0600, "Gayle Boyer" <gboyer@tomotherapy.com> wrote:

>Help! I'm fumbling my way through a conversion from FM to JavaHelp via WWP,
>and I'm running into problems. I'll be grateful for any advice, direction,
>and/or commiseration you can offer me!
>
>1. Index problems.
>
>Index entries that include secondary entries aren't coming through properly.
>For example, if the FM entry looks like this:
>
>primary entry
>	secondary entry 12, 15
>	another secondary entry 83
>
>In the index xml that WWP builds, I'd expect the entry to look like this:
>
><indexitem target="primary target" text="primary entry">
>    <indexitem target="secondary target" text="secondary entry"/>
>    <indexitem target="another secondary target" text="another secondary
>entry"/>
></indexitem>
>
>Instead, the line containing the opening tag isn't coming through at all, so
>I'm getting this:
>
>    <indexitem target="secondary target" text="secondary entry"/>
>    <indexitem target="another secondary target" text="another secondary
>entry"/>
></indexitem>
>
>...which generates an xml error and hangs my help project. I can track down
>the missing lines and re-enter them manually, but that sort of defeats the
>purpose. I've triple-checked my mappings, and all styles in my ProjectIOM.fm
>file are mapped either to appropriate index styles, or else to "NoOutput."

That sure looks like a WWP bug.  Have you notified Quadralay?

Also, the way JavaHelp works, any entry that appears in two different
markers, like your:

	secondary entry 12, 15

is going to be problematic because you only get to specify one of
the targets, not both:

    <indexitem target="secondary target" text="secondary entry"/>

which means one of your refs is just gone.  When we asked Sun about
this design error, we were told "don't do that", i.e., make sure
every single index marker is **unique**.  If you avoid this "error",
you may find that the WWP bug (missing first-level line) goes away.
Or not.

>2. Display problems
>
>When I run the .hs file and click an entry in the TOC, the main panel
>displays 2 overlapping versions of the page. This happens even for pages
>that don't include an anchored frame. I'm using JH 1.1.1 and the Java 2
>run-time environment, build 1.3, which I thought was supposed to fix this
>problem.

Well, a Sun person announced on the JavaHelp list that this Sun bug
was fixed in "JDK 1.3", which presumably is what you have.  It's not
the first time we've seen misleading statements or outright lies
from Sun.  As it happens, we discovered the cause of this bug, and
built a (proprietary) solution into Mif2Go's JavaHelp output, so
Mif2Go users are spared this particular frustration.  For more info
on Mif2Go ($295 for single-seat license with a year of email support
and upgrades), see:
  http://www.omsys.com/
Mif2Go is also, of course, free of the first bug you mentioned.  So
it *would* solve both problems for you.

>I'm new to FM, WWP, and JavaHelp, so no explanation can be too simple.
>Thanks very much!

HTH!

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/