Re: index formatting problem

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: "Elizabeth Callahan" <emcallahan@attglobal.net>
> I am a new Frame user and am trying to put my index in 2
> columns. I am able to do so for everything but the first page of the
> index file, which has a custom master page and has about 3" of
> heading/text at the top of the page.
>
> I have tried putting a text frame around the area where I want 2
> columns but the text doesn't go into 2 columns there. It either
> stays in 1 column or if it does respond to the 2 columns, some of
> the text doubles back on itself!! What am I doing wrong?

Go to the custom master page and put the cursor in the main
text frame. Select Object > Properties (Esc g o).
There you have the setting for number of columns.
Just change it to 2 columns.

If you need the top part of the master page to be a single
column, make the page consist of two connected text frames,
one single-column and one with 2 columns (as described above).
You cannot make a single text frame suddenly switch between
1 and 2 columns, so you have to make separate text frames.