Re: NEW bloat in PDF file sizes....

Reflecting other responses made to this, assuming no other variables
and Acrobat Distiller 4.0x, the strongest possibility is that the
screen shots were in fact in a 256 color mode of BMP as opposed to
full 24 bit color RGB TIFF. A similar problem occurs with grayscale
(also 256 colors) TIFF and JPEG. Such images come out of GDI and
the driver as "indexed color images" for which a bug in Acrobat
Distiller 4.0x prevents compression and downsampling. Surprisingly
enough, if the screen prints were converted to 24 bit TIFF, the
problem would probably go away. The best way of dealing with images
in FrameMaker, surprisingly enough, is via EPS from Photoshop.
(Those of you who attended the FrameUsers Conference last week will
understand what this is all about (8^)> )!

        - Dov