Random character substitutions

I'm an experienced FM user and have rarely had any problems
creating PDFs from my FM documents. Today, however, all PDFs
I create become garbled with random character substitutions...
In the body text, seemingly random letters become dots, squares
and completely different characters, making the document unreadable.

My specifics:
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5
FrameMaker 5.5.6
Print to PS file using Acrobat Distiller printer
Distilling PS file with Acrobat Distiller 3.02
Distiller job options: Compressing text and line art,
  Embed all fonts, Subset fonts below 35%
  (changing these options have no effect)
Viewing PDFs in Acrobat Reader 4.0
FM documents use either TrueType or PostScript fonts, i.e.
it doesn't matter what fonts the documents use.

I've created PDF files using this same configuration without
any problems in the past. Noone else has access to my machine.
The only change is that I installed a new Acrobat Distiller
printer instance using the latest Universal Installer 1.0.2
(AdobePS 5.1.2) and the ADISTILL.PPD version 1.1.
Before doing this, I deleted the former Acrobat Distiller printer
instance, which I think was the one working OK...

Any help is appreciated,