Re: Glossary: Using links between icons and text

Priscilla:

Having created a document for the Glossary, I wish to access the terms by
the alphabet they begin with. So I have created icons for each alphabet and
inserted them in the Master Page. They are displayed at the top of each
page
in the Glossary.

Please can you give me answers for the questions below:
1. How do I make the graphic/icon active?

You draw a text frame over each letter icon on the master page, then insert
a hypertext marker with the command "goto A" (to jump to the letter A group
title), "goto B", etc.  These commands are the Jump to Named Destination
Option in the drop-down list.

2. How do I link the graphic to the alphabet(Text preceding a set of
definitions for that alphabet)?

Then, at each group title letter, you insert a hypertext marker with the
command "newlink A", "newlink B", etc.  These commands are the Specify
Named Destination option in the drop-down list.

For instance, if I have a graphic with the letter "A" in it, I'd like to
link it with the page that has glossary items starting with the letter "A".
The items themselves would have a leader, the alphabet "A".

Aeon
After
Again
Age

Clicking the icon "A" at the top of any glossary page must link me to
glossary items starting with the alphabet "A".

You can see this in action in FrameMaker help, which is just a series of
locked FrameMaker documents.  On Windows, locate the file <FM_install_dir>
\help\maker\helpix.fm.  Copy this file to another directory, since FM won't
unlock it while it is in a subdirectory of the help directory.  Open the
copy then, when FM complains that it can't find the graphic  ixbar1.ti,
navigate to <FM_install_dir>\help\maker\illus.gen\buttons\ixbar1.tif to
link it in. Finally, press Esc F l k to unlock the Help index and examine
the hypertext markers on the master pages and the group titles.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor