Doc Management Tools, Version Control: Any war stories to tell?

Frameux et Frameuses:

I am now working with a technical communication team that is rapidly
expanding (10 members now, more coming) and we are addressing the need to
put systems in processes in place to manage the greater complexity of
fileset integrity in large teams.

Can anybody recommend a Windows-based documentation and version management
tool, and any pitfalls to watch for?  In particular, what are your opinions
of

     Documentum
     Visual SourceSafe
     (ClearCase server with Attache client?  Don't get me started!)

In the following discussion I'll use "build" to refer to a snapshot of an
interim draft, perhaps for review purposes, and "release" to refer to the
final deliverables fileset snapshot.  "Version" refers to the number
updated automatically by the tool at each check-in.

*** Is the tool value for money?  Too much/too little functionality for
documentation?

*** What effect does the tool have on disk storage capacity in the file
server?  Estimate percentage extra storage required for multiple "shadow"
copies of previous versions.

*** How well does the tool allow file recovery from back-up tapes, perhaps
particular versions, or particular build or release filesets?

*** How well does the tool allow archiving of old versions to free up disk
capacity?

*** How well does the tool interface with the ODMA** built into FrameMaker?
Do writers find it easy to add, check out, check in, get, put files?

*** When text insets and graphics imported by reference are updated, does
the tool register a new version for any client documents?  When a file is
updated, does the tool register a new version for any client book files?

*** How easy is it for an administrator to label the current snapshot
across the fileset with the current build number?  Release number?

*** How easy is it to extract individual files by version number, or groups
of files by build or release label?

*** What access controls can the administrator impose to constrain access
to the fileset by writers?

*** Is is possible for the tool to manage branching, that is, alternate
versions being developed in parallel?  (Our product line has closely
related but different versions for different accounting and legislative
environments.)  Can the tool manage merges of parallel versions back to a
single version, perhaps integrating with FrameMaker's document comparison
capability?

That sure is a lot of questions.  Thank you for your time and attention.

** Open Document Management API (Application Programming Interface).
Whew!!

--
Hedley Finger, Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker 5.5.x