Re: Conditional settings for graphics to show / not show

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:45:55 -0500, Peter Anderson <Peter.Anderson@sagian.com> wrote:

>>>Not having used conditional text that much, here's my question:
>>>
>>>Do you have to go thru and set each graphic's condition individually?  Or is
>>>there a way to set up it up as a global On/Off operation as part of a style?
>>
>>With conditional text, you'd have to select each frame anchor
>>individually, and apply the condition.

>This isn't true.....you could do it with a simple Find/Change procedure.
>Open the Find/Change dialog and select to Find by Anchored Frame.  Find
>the first anchored frame and apply the conditional text tag as usual.
>Then go to Edit > Copy Special > Conditionl Text Settings.  Now in the
>Find/Change dialog, in change, select By Pasting.  Now you can just hit
>Change All and it will apply the conditional text settings to all anchored
>frames.

That would handle the ones on the Body pages; I suppose you could
do it again for Master and Reference pages.  And it wouldn't deal
with unanchored frames (commonly used on Master pages), or with the
FrameAbove/Below graphics at all... all of which the new Mif2Go
setting we created to solve the problem *does* handle.

>Of course, it isn't as easy as Jeremy's solution if you have Mif2Go (I
>don't), but it does the job pretty well.  I think it's a pretty good
>alternative if you needed to set conditional text for graphics (say,
>for an online help version where you do not want screenshots).

It would be a good first step, and it's a nice example of the power
of Find/Change, one of Frame's very best features...  But if you
really wanted to do away with screenshots, you'd have a lot more
hand work to do; you'd want the titles (and enclosing tables)
removed too, and any cross-refs to them would need to be replaced,
which would probably require a bit of rewriting.

>Although it would be nice if Frame had the ability to set Conditional
>Tags in paragraph or character tags, table formats, etc.

This has been on the Great Wish List for many years, and would
still be a great idea...

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/