Re: Avoiding hyphens in variables

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: "Peter Waszkewitz" <pwaszkewitz@t-online.de>
> In my experience, character tags are stackable in general, as long as
> you use the setting to keep the original formatting (sorry, no idea
> what it is named in English Frame) for all things you do not want to
> change. There are, however, formatting items which are not stackable,
> like small caps, afaik. I just tried it, applied a strong (results in
> bold) and an emphasis (results in italic) style to a piece of text. It
> turned bold italic. Importing the original document template again did
> not change the formatting in Frame 5.5.6.

Yes, you can apply more than one character tag to a text, and *all*
formatting properties of all tags will be applied to the text.
However, only a single tag *name* can be stored. The text will be
tagged with the name of the latest applied tag, and all other
formatting properties will be stored as *overrides* to this tag.
This can clearly be seen in the Character Designer, but note that the
status bar does NOT indicate character tag overrides with an asterisk
(I would call this a bug).

Therefore, there is no difference in applying two tags to a text
compared to applying one of them and then other formatting from the
Format menu. Both methods result in a character override to the text.

When you import formats from a template, "stacked" character tags or
other character tag overrides do NOT change the character formatting,
even if you enable "Remove other overrides" (this is also a bug).

This is how it works in FM 5.5.6, maybe FM 6 is better?