Re: [FrameSGML] XML Import/Export To/From FM+SGML

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 02:36:36 -0700, Dan Emory <danemory@primenet.com> wrote:

>If Adobe does intend to put the product line into maintenance mode
>(i.e., no more releases), they'd be better off announcing it now. Such an
>announcement would unfetter the third-party developer community, who
>could jump in with all sorts of plug-ins that either enhance the
>product, or fix it's deficiencies, completely certain that a new product
>release from Adobe would not wipe out the demand for their products.

This has indeed been a serious consideration for our development of
third-party export and import tools.  We hesitated almost two years
to produce our HTML export module, because we kept thinking that
Adobe *had* to get its native HTML export working well.  But we were
wrong, and eventually went ahead and produced the best HTML and XML
export plugin around (IMHO) as part of Mif2Go.

I'm sure we're not the only developers who are reluctant to invest
the $250K-$2M needed to develop a best-of-breed plugin for Frame
because Adobe has no published roadmap declaring its intentions....

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/