Special Characters Update

Thanks for all of the replies to the Special Characters in FrameMaker post.
Here is the reason for the post. I have a FrameMaker template for writing a
help system for a medical device. The FrameMaker files are translated to
various languages, processed by a script, saved as text files, and loaded on
the medical device. The medical device uses the OEM character set.

In my example, the ü is 252 in FrameMaker, but it is 129 in OEM. So, my
script attempts to replace all 252s with 129s before saving the file as
text. Of course, the script maps all of the other special characters as
well. The characters look funny in Windows, but when the text file is loaded
on the medical device, they are correct.

And therein lies my problem. My 252 (ü) never gets mapped because I can't
get the 129 to insert in FrameMaker. My workaround is to leave the 252 in
the FrameMaker file and post-process the text file that the script exports.
OUCH.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
716 659-8267