Advanced Find and Replace Calls

BACKGROUND:	One of our clients requires the use of serial commas (i.e. cat,
dog, and monkey vs. cat, dog and monkey). Unfortunately, they neglected to
inform us of this preference prior to our writing of their manuals.

PROBLEM:	I have attempted to use the wildcards (|, ^ and *) to construct a
find and replace line that would search for and replace instances where the
serial comma is missing, but alas the find and replace does not spot the
missing instances. (No matter how hard I try, I cannot train my eye to pick
up "missing" serial commas, and with several hundred instances per manual -
I don't want to have to do this manually anyway).

I can locate instances of and not preceded by commas, but this also
includes instances where and is used as a simple conjunction. What I really
need is a call that will locate instances where "and" follows a word that
is preceded by a comma (something like ",|[^,] and", although I cannot get
that one to work).

QUESTION:	Have any of you folks had greater experience with such "compound"
find and replace calls? Any hints?

Kenneth Woodard
Technical Writer
WABCO Transit Group
Kwoodard@wabtec.com
Phone: 864.433.6427
Fax: 864.433.0176

WABTEC CORPORATION CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE
The content contained in this e-mail transmission is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named herein. If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.