I've given up in disgust. Thank you to everyone who offered their help and the
suggestions that were sent to me.

The problem I was/am still having:
NT4, SP5, FM+SGML 5.5.6, changing a 6.75x4 single column layout to a 2-col
layout caused the table to 'misbehave' and I continuously got "Internal Error
and Must Quit" messages with FM then shutting down. 'Misbehave' covers a lot of
ground. I witnessed tables that would cause the flow to zigzag illogically
through the columns, tables that would start on one page but with the rest of
the table missing, tables that drag one line of text onto a new page only to
have the table start yet one more page away (sometime with a completely blank
page in between), and tables that would disappear altogether. The biggest
problem area is where I have a 6 page table and 5 full page anchored frames with
graphics.

I've tried saving as MIF, various table START settings, changed the table size,
moved tha anchor to a separate paragraph with negative space. Each failed (some
caused other bizzare behaviour).

As the behaviour of FM seems to be erratic and untrustworthy I'm giving up and
keeping the 1-col layout. I think that much of my perceived savings in length
were due to these tables disappearing. I could still save a half dozen pages in
one procedure heavy section but the problems are not worth it.

The absolute last straw was this morning when I tried one last time and FM
instantaneously combusted. I opened the file, went to the masterpages and
changed the text frames to two column. Then I returned to the body pages and
scrolled through the document. On arrival at the large table, the table started
at the bottom of the page but all but those 3 rows were missing. On the next
five pages were the anchored frames. I then selected the text/paragraph
containing the table anchor. I then received an error 'ping' from the computer
and found myself looking at my desktop wallpaper.

AAARGH!!

While this is supposed to be a "pocket" manual, I think it should really be a
multi volume set considering all the info to be included. Maybe if the users
wear cargo pants they'll be fine. ;-)

Eric L. Dunn