Re: Source files/books

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: "June Finch" <june.finch@trendview.com>
> For another Frame user to open a .fm book they must have access to all the
> sourse files -
> i.e. saved in the same Directory, folder ? Is this true ?

To simply open the book file (*.bk), they don't need access to the files.
The book file simply contains references to these files.
But to actually use and update the book file, and to open the files in
the book, yes they need all the files.

> Bitmaps, jpegs, tiffs, wmf ....etc.
> I have these held in different directoies all over the network.

This depends on whether you have imported these image files by copy or
by reference. If by copy, you don't need the original image files, since
a copy of them is stored in the documents.
If by reference, you do need these files. When you import by reference,
the path to the original image file is stored in the FM document, either
absolute or relative. For another user to be able to see the image files,
they should be located in the same directory structure on their
computer system, or they have to point FM to the new location of the
image files (when a dialog appears about "missing graphics").

> If so next question:
> Is there an easy way to find all the source file to a book ?
> and get them in the same directory/folder as the book ?

The filenames, including possible paths, of the FM documents in a book
can be extracted from a MIF version of the book file. Filenames of other
source files, such as text insets or image files, can be extracted from
MIF versions of all FM documents, or by generating a list of references
to these files (using the Generate feature of the book file).
There *is* a utility that packages the book file with all its components,
but unfortunately I cannot find it now...

You can of course copy all source files to the same directory as the
book file, but it won't help much if the book file itself doesn't refer
to the files in the same directory (but usually that's the case).
That is, if you already have all source files in the same directory,
there's no problem. If you don't, the work involved to package all the
files depends on how scattered they are.

I can provide more details if there are things you don't understand.