chapter numbering issues

Hello Framers
So, I added a chapter to my FM book but I can't seem to get the chapter
numbering and page numbering to update.
The chapter number is inserted with a paragraph style, with an autonumber
format of "Chapter <n+>\st", which I'm assuming should insert the word
Chapter and a number that is one higher than the previous chapter number,
from the previous document in the book. This works in all previous chapters
until I get to the document I added, and then the Chapter numbering and page
numbering starts again at one, affects all the documents after it, and I
can't seem to change it to an automatically updating chapter and page
number.

The Format>Document>Numbering Properties dialog box for the previous
documents shows the Chapter# selected and set to one, and the Page set to
Continue Numbering from Previous Page in Book, and showing the first page
number that will be assigned in that chapter.

If anyone can figure out what I'm doing wrong here, you'll save me from
going bald by the end of the day.

Thanks,
Mandy

Mandy Wells