Re: TTF fonts with Frame on Unix?

Thomas Michanek writes:

 > First of all, you MUST convert the Truetype font files (TTF) to
 > Type 1 font files (PFA and AFM). FM on UNIX cannot use Truetype
 > font files at all. (Although the X Window System can be configured
 > to use Truetype fonts, this won't have much affect on FM, especially
 > not when it comes to printing out text set in Truetype fonts.)

Yeah, I figured as much.

 > For such conversion utilities, take a look at:
 > http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/pssoftware.html
 > http://www.lug.ro/readme/2000-04/StarOffice_fonts3.html
 > http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO (section 6)

Thanks for the pointers Thomas! Much appreciated!

 > Since I haven't tried this, I cannot recommend any of the
 > utilities or point you directly to them. It probably is a good
 > idea to read a little about this issue before using the first
 > converter you find.  Also, make sure you get PFA and AFM
 > files, not PFB or PFM.  It's easier to add PFA and AFM files
 > to FM, especially if you use the method of PSRESOURCEPATH and
 > makepsres. (If you have no idea what that means, or what to do
 > with PFA and AFM files, I can explain it off-list.)

Nope, I know what you mean. And given well formed PFB/PFM files I
can make do as well (I have utilities to convert those).

--
Viktor Haag                           Senior Technical Writer, RIM
'79 99, '89 9000T, '00 9-3 SE         My opinions are my own, only.