Re: TTF fonts with Frame on Unix?

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: "Viktor Haag" <vhaag@rim.net>
> Does anyone know a way of preparing True Type fonts for use with
> Frame on Unix?

First of all, you MUST convert the Truetype font files (TTF) to
Type 1 font files (PFA and AFM). FM on UNIX cannot use Truetype
font files at all. (Although the X Window System can be configured
to use Truetype fonts, this won't have much affect on FM, especially
not when it comes to printing out text set in Truetype fonts.)

For such conversion utilities, take a look at:
http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/pssoftware.html
http://www.lug.ro/readme/2000-04/StarOffice_fonts3.html
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO (section 6)

Since I haven't tried this, I cannot recommend any of the utilities
or point you directly to them. It probably is a good idea to read
a little about this issue before using the first converter you find.
Also, make sure you get PFA and AFM files, not PFB or PFM.
It's easier to add PFA and AFM files to FM, especially if you use
the method of PSRESOURCEPATH and makepsres. (If you have no idea
what that means, or what to do with PFA and AFM files, I can explain
it off-list.)