Re: Alphabetizing a Glossary

Am I correct in assuming that you are building a glossary as a separate file?
We found the approach of using markers and then generating an alphabetic index
of markers works very well. We did the same for a list of abbreviations.
If new terms or abbreviations are added to the files, the writer just creates a
new marker (either GLOSSARY or ABBREVIATION) and enters the term and the
definition (separated by \t).
When the book is regenerated, all terms are arranged alphabetically in the
correct file alphabetically in two columns. This approach has also aided us in
locating similar abbreviations with different meanings.
Whether the abbreviations or terms are defined once or each and every time they
occur does not matter, as all identical markers are given a single entry. It is
also possible to have two versions of the file. One with the page numbers of the
references for editing purposes, and another without page numbers for
production.

Eric L. Dunn