Re: Help and Release Notes in FM6

Thomas,

I have the Windows version of FM+SGML 6, so my answers will be based on
that. I don't yet have access to a UNIX version.

> To those of you who have access to FM version 6,
>
> If I understand things correctly, the FM-based help system in 5.5
> has been replaced by a WinHelp-based help system in version 6
> (even for the UNIX versions: using HyperHelp?). Is this correct?

The help is in WinHelp format.

> Also, the "Online Manuals" that were available from the main Help
> screen in 5.5 is no longer available from the Help system in FM6.
> Instead, they are installed as separate PDF files that you have
> to find and open yourself. Is this correct?

Yes, this is correct. There is an Online manuals topic in the Help that
lists the manuals and tells you the location. Here is a partial quote:

<quote>
(UNIX) The PDF online manuals are located in
$FMHOME/fminit/<lang>/OnlineManuals.
</quote>

> In all previous versions of FM, there was an extensive online
> manual called "Release Notes" containing descriptions of all new
> and changed features. In 5.5, it was more than 50 pages long.
> (This is not the same as a README text file that mainly deals with
> late-breaking information and problems. I have seen this README
> file for version 6, and it's not what I'm looking for.)
>
> Is this manual really not available in FM6? If so, how do you
> find out details about what's new and how to migrate from 5.5?
> I'm referring to much more detailed information compared to
> what's available on the Adobe web site, for instance.
> I want to know the exact differences between 5.5 and 6.0.

I have not been able to find the Release Notes either. To find differences
between 5.5 and 6.0, you can refer to Adobe's marketing information for the
upgrade; for example,

http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/whatsnew.html

Actually, there is not much more to say about version 6 because it is not
much of an upgrade. Except for the new Book interface and functions, the
bundled WebWorks Publisher Standard Edition, and a couple of new numbering
building blocks, it is essentially version 5.5.6 with new packaging. Even
some of 5.5.6's bugs made it to version 6.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
716 659-8267
rick@frameexpert.com