Re: Influencing Adobe on FrameMaker

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Barratt <markb@textmatters.com>
To: Dan Emory <danemory@primenet.com>
Cc: Ezra Steinberg <ezra@Resonate.com>; <framers@omsys.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: Influencing Adobe on FrameMaker

> Dan
>
> I guess no responses because Thomas' and your posts were mostly
> information rather than calls to action, I thought.

There are those who come to this mailing list for information only
without a subscription to a political agenda. I think the determination
of apathy as a motivation to a lack of response is as grandiose and
ineffectual as the thinking which originally constructed the 'cabal'.
The persistent vitriolic posting describing Adobe's business practice
is not constructive; the decision not to tongue-lash a dead horse is
not apathetic, but realistic. It reminds me of Apple. All those intensely
loyal Mac users were driven to Windows because Apple was content
to rot on the ground and reap profits without developing upgrades...
There was no response to the customer base. Why would one think
Adobe would be swayed by a conspiracy(discovered or not) or by
the limited FrameMaker constituency? I think Dan has an axe to grind
and that he used a manipulative term apathy, to stir support for his
bandwagon. The pretext is that documenting Adobe's lack of support
and caring is informational therefore we are serving our best interests
by fomenting responses. Realistically, that is just a waste of our time.
This does not mean Dan is other than highly intelligent. He is also
expert in FM. But his posts make me feel like I am on a therapy forum.
I am not here to download and savor the hostility he feels toward Adobe.
Nor do I think it is informative to cloak his salvos with a few facts.
Certainly we should be "Free" to criticize Adobe, but there is too much
focus put on that, rather than solutions(which ranting is not) in such an
ongoing, persistent manner. Throw stones or be labelled apathetic.

I noticed that Linux has KDE and that it has some FrameMaker ability.
Maybe the program is KDesk. Though still in development, the approach
of Linux applications seems constructive. Develop enhancements which
are not at the mercy of a corporate conglomerate, rather than expect to
influence corportate behavior without big bucks. Seems cheaper to me.
I would suppose since there has been no censure of this "subject:" being
off topic, then a response disagreeing with a sentiment expressed is Free.

Not apathetic by my defintional level,
Stephen