Annoying punctuation in cross-references

Cross-posted to both Frame lists.

I have a glossary with the terms formatted as run-in heads with a colon
as the default punctuation. (I know that was a terrible sentence; I'm in
a hurry.) In some cases, I want to list a term, then send the reader to
the "real" or "official" term for the definition, and I want to do it
with a real cross-reference. So, what I want is something like

    Brupnik: See "Sploitbrau."

What I get instead is

    Brupnik: See "Sploitbrau:."

I've tried messing around with the different building blocks available
for cross-references, and nothing works exactly as I want it to. Aside
from deleting the colon from the para format and inserting it manually,
is there any way around this?

--

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.

Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer
TCF Financial Corporation