Re: time estimate for Word to Frame conversion

Rick,
  This estimate seems in line with what I've heard for WRITING
14,000 pages, not for converting it. That is, allowing for
vacations, holidays, sick leave, training, meetings, reviews,
multiple drafts, and so on, a technical writer produces an
average of 2 pages a day, which is 10 pages a week, or about
500 pages a year. 14,000 pages at 500 pages/writer/year comes
to 3.5 years for 8 writers.
  On the other hand, if your 8 writers are going to be
working on other projects, and perhaps converting documents
as they need to be revised, rather than being dedicated to
the conversion, it may indeed take 2 or 3 years before they've
touched every document.
	--Lynne

At 10:11 AM 6/27/00 -0500, Rick.Henkel@firstdatacorp.com wrote:

>A different branch of my company is considering converting all their Word docs
>to Frame. They told me "It is estimated that it would take 8 writers between 2.5
>to 3 years to convert the entire library [14,000
>pages] from Word 97 to FrameMaker. This includes the building
>of templates, testing, and training."
>
>I've never tried anything that big, but that estimate seems a bit much,
>especially considering what they can do with FrameScript and various other
>plug-ins and such.
>
>For those of you with experience in these kinds of projects, does 2.5 to 3 years
>sound reasonable?
>
>rick

>** with "unsubscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.   **

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
lprice@txstruct.com
http://www.txstruct.com