RE: fonts and variables in generated files

That weren't no bug, lady, it wuz a feature, yadda yadda yadda ;-)

Making iterative changes in the character catalog works logically, in
an orthogonal sort of way (I've been trying to use that word for a
long time! Now I just have to figure out how to use it correctly [-(

The trick to using the dialog box is to remember to *select the tag
name from the popup before every change*!!!!

And you CAN set all settings to As Is (press Shift+F8 in Windows)
when creating a tag; or maybe I don't understand your point (a)?

So, in FrameWin, suppose I want to create a new character tag called
MyTag, which is specified as italics.

    1) I press Ctrl+D to open the Character Designer.

    2) I press Shift+F8 to set everything to As Is.

    3) I type the name MyTag in the Character Tag box.

    4) I press Enter, which is the same as clicking Apply, and produces the
       dialog box prompting me to confirm the new tag, plus
       letting me store it in the catalog and/or apply it to the current
       selection. I confirm everything (is that the same as denying nothing?)

Whoa! The dialog box immediately shows the character attributes at
the current location/selection. If I had selected some text before
defining my tag, it will be italicised, but it will also look like
everything else was specified, too, which I know is not true. But I
persevere, because I understand the logic beneath the FrameMaker
approach to displaying attributes! I am patient.

Hmmm...then I realize that I'd really like to have MyTag always be
Helvetica, as well as italicised.

    1) I select the new tag name MyTag from the Character Tag popup list. Tada!
       My definition of a whole lot of As Is settings and italics is back! Life
       is good.

    2) I select Helvetica from the Family popup.

    3) I select Update All.

I'm done.

Regards,

David

--
David Cramer, Process Innovation Evangelist          87-1313 Border Street
PBSC Computer Training Centres (an IBM company)      Winnipeg MB R3H 0X4