disappearing characters

FMers--
Here's a strange one. I have a 650+ page book, and in the
Index (and only in the Index) a few characters just
disappear. They are upper case B and v (both lower and
upper). This happens only when I print the whole book (Frame
5.6->PS file (Acrobat Distiller 3.0 5.12 printer
driver)->Acrobat Distiller 3.02->PDF on Windows NT 4.0 SP5).
But if I print the index only, everything is fine. The font
is Helvetica and I do not subset but rather do embed all
fonts. It does not happen in any other books using the same
templates.
Any ideas, crazy or otherwise?
Thanks in advance.
--Alex
                Alex Ragen
Certification and Technical Publications Manager
         Check Point Software Technologies
            WE SECURE THE INTERNET
  phone: +972 3 753 4552 fax: +972 3 575 9256
          http://www.checkpoint.com
This message may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information and is intended only for
the person/entity to whom it was originally
addressed. The contents of this message may
contain private views and opinions which do not
constitute a formal disclosure or committment
unless specifically stated.