anchored frames and columns

I am posting this for a friend, please send answers to
sbarnett@alchemedia.com, thanks.

When working with a document that has a 2-column layout, how can I insert an
anchored frame (i.e., one that moves with the text) that is spread across
1.5 columns, with text flow running around the graphic in the second column.

An anchored frame inserted with a Run into Paragraph anchoring position
cannot straddle columns, and a graphic frame is not anchored to the text. If
I insert an anchored frame with the anchoring point Below Current Line and
don't select the Cropped option, I can have the graphic protruding into the
second column, but then the text doesn't flow round it. Does anyone have any
workaround solutions to this problem?