Re: book files and postscript how to get them to play nicely

John,

I am not sure that this is what you were asking for, but...

For all our on-demand book production, we print to PS files (using the
print driver for the intended printer) and store said files on the
network server.

Then, to print a copy of the book, we run a script which sends the
files in order.  (The network server is a linux system.)

If we need 10 copies of a book, we run a "outer" script which in turn
runs the "print one copy" script ten times.  The "outer" script can
easily be parameterized to give command line ability to control the
number of books to be printed. We make sure to have the "outer" script
"sleep" a little between the print-1 jobs (but less time than the
printer is actually running) so as to not baloon the print spool -- we
can easily get print spool sizes in excess of 200 MB!

Printing as multiple PS files has several advantages, but the most
obvious is that the printer is actually printing more of the time and
waiting/processing less of the time.  There is always a next job in
the printer's RIP while the current job is printing.

Using this technique, we can keep our printers running 97% of the time
-- the other 3% is changing out toner units and other maintenance.

Obviously, this means having a fast network, fast network hard drives,
fast printer processors and lots of printer memory.

Jay

John Walker wrote:

> I have a document that has been broken up into 3 separate files.  When I
> print it to a ps file to send to the printer it prints each file
> individually.  Sending 3 files to the printer for one document is asking for
> problems.  What do I do?
>
> John Walker
> York Intl

> You are currently subscribed to framers as: jay@jaysmith.com