automatic alerts

I don't know whether this is possible. I'd like to have an alert automatically
appear when a writer opens a certain file (file A). The alert would remind him
that he needs to update file B if he adds something to file A.

I know I can add a hypertext alert that the writer can click to get the message.
But I'd like to dummyproof this as much as possible, so I'd like to obviate
clicking.

Any way I can do this?

rick